Monday, September 20, 2010

The time is nigh!

It's half one in the morning. I had a grand total of 3 hours sleep last night after a big one out for a mates birthday, followed by work today. I still have to do a water change on my tropical fishtank. I am very upset that the expensive wildlife guidebook I purchased from Amazon that should have arrived 2 weeks ago has not turned up so I feel shamefully in the dark about the nature I may be spotting out there, and especially bad that I've not had time to brush up on my snake identification...

Still the overriding emotion is excitement, and nerve of course. My lovely dad is picking me up at 5am to take me to the airport. I thought I'd add our schedule for the next few days to give you an idea of how it'll all be working out there...

I hear I may well get internt access on occasion, so I will do my best to throw a bit of info and/or picturs before I'm back, and will of course be doing plenty of blogging when I return to fill you in on how it all went.

Thank you so much everyone for your support, both marally and financially. I couldn't do it without you! Bethyn is so pleased with how successful all our fundraising has been, it is such a great way to kick off the "action" part that Action4Cancer are about in this way, the next few days are going to be an emotional ride in so many ways...

Thursday 23rd September
7:30 a.m. All teams leave by bus for the 2 hour drive to Nauta where there will be a civic reception at 11.00 a.m. in the Plaza de Armas.
12:00 noon . Lunch (provided)
1:30 p.m. All competitors cross the river by boat to Isla de Pescadores (Fisherman’s Island)
2:00 p.m Each team constructs their own raft with local help if required.6:00p.m. Dinner for competitors (provided)
7:00 p.m Fiesta with music and dancing on the beach.Sleep overnight on the beach in tents provided by the Nauta City Council.
Friday 24th September
7:00 a.m. Breakfast (provided)
8:30 a.m. Mass start from the beach to the isolated village of Porvenir a distance of 36 miles (average time 6.00 hours).
6:00 p.m. Dinner (provided).All participants sleep in tents. (provided).
Saturday 25th September
6:30 a.m. Breakfast (provided)
Mass start at 7:30 a.m. .This 2nd leg is to the town of Tamshiyacu, a distance of 41 miles ( average time of 6.30 hours).
6:00 p.m. Dinner (provided)
.8:00 p.m. Grand Fiesta .All participants will sleep in the school on mattresses (provided).
Sunday 26th September
6:30 a.m. Breakfast (provided).
Mass start at 7:30 a.m.This final leg is from Tamshiyacu to the Fishing Club at Bella Vista Nanay, just outside the City of Iquitos, at a distance of 41 miles (average time 5.30 hours).
Party and Prize ceremony will follow the finish at the Fishing Club.
8:30 p.m. Rafters Party at the Amazon Café .
Monday 27th September
Fly to Lima very early!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home