Thursday, November 07, 2013

Recruitment

Why is it that people get so uptight about interviews? Okay on one hand if it's a good job that you really want of course some butterflies are to be expected, but the way I see it, it's your chance to interview your prospective employer too, find out about the company and if you think they will be right for you, not just the vice versa. I went to a recruitment session yesterday, for a fairly basic job, but one that I think would be good fun, keep me on my feet all day and in a nice environment. I thought I'd be in there about an hour- I knew it was a group session and these days these things often include games or interactive tasks so as the employer can see how you get along with people etc, but we were in there for 2 and a half hours nearly!

One thing that struck me was how shy everyone was. Now I'm not an aggressive type in these situations, far from it,  but I felt like my team members almost forced me into a position of leadership and delegation when it came to the problem solving and brainstorming tasks... obviously this allowed me to showcase my personality the best, but after what I think might have been a little backhanded comment from one of the guys at the end I worried they felt I have manipulated the situation as such so I could get all the limelight? I hope not. Perhaps I'm not so shy because I'm more experienced, and pragmatic about these situations? To be fair, I must have had at least 10 years on everyone else, who were mostly foreign students or college goers, it seemed. I try not to stress over these things because the way I see it, if I don't get a job it's because the employer didn't think I was suitable for it, for whatever reason, which as far as I'm concerned is a service to me, as who wants to be stuck miserable in a job they're not qualified for?

Bottom line, my team made a kickass bridge out of newspaper and sellotape that held the weight of a (full) water bottle indefinitely while still being a sexy looking construction, and if I don't get the job, well I made a new friend, of a girl who only lives in the next village from me and goes to the same gym. SCORE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home