Thursday, November 18, 2010

the week has dealt me a poor hand

And by a poor hand I mean it in the most literal sense of the term. Let me talk you through a week in the life of my right hand; the following scrapes have occurred in this order on consecutive days up to today.

1. Bashed open knuckle between index and middle finger while using broom over zealously to scrape sand down from sloping raised floor in bat house, whacking said knuckle on rocks. Sand in wound, infection for 2 days.

2. Knuckle between index and middle finger slashed open by the talon of one "Lurch" eagle owl, who caught me while I was fitting him with new anklets. Decent sized slash wound, quite impressive.

3. Caught thumb knuckle in spring loaded rat trap. VERY painful, licky I didn't chip the bone but thankfully did not recieve full force of metal bar, which just caught me on it's way down. Still, much hugging of hand to chest, and one or two tears escaped down cheeks.

4. Barn owl grabbed the end of my thumb in her beak by accident, sinking hook of beak right in. No infection, luckily.

5. Different barn owl gets me with her talons while I weighed her today, locked and clenched talons around the end of my middle finger, piercing very deeply. Very tender, typing is sore!

6. Multiple scratches all over hand from attampting to remove stubborn metal mesh heat lamp guard to change lamp in Amazon parrot roost.

It really is the wars! But also a fun illustration of some of the things I get up to at the zoo. Some of the most chuckle-worthy moments are those when we get injured!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home