Friday, October 22, 2010

Rafting reflections

After the Raft Race, Linda, one of the organisers, emailed us all asking for our experiences and opinions, how we were effected (if at all), what improvements we would ask for and whether we would do it again. I replied by quoting the summary from my blog you will have already seen, that I posted when I first got back home, and I also added the following reflections of my experiences in Peru:
"What I liked was the sense of adventure and camaraderie, how friendly everyone was, getting to meet and make friends with other crazy people from all over the world, the constant buzz of achievement prevailing out of extreme toiling. Of course for me and my team mates it was a big adventure for us emotionally as well as we were doing it in memory of Beth's mum- so a very personal fundraising cause for us, not to mention an intense exercise in testing and reinforcing our friendship and bringing us even closer together. Staying with locals was great too- it was a full immersion experience (and I'm not just talking about having a wet arse the whole time!!)
I think the only improvements that could be made would be possibly having a few hints on the facebook group in advance as to the opportunities for bringing/obtaining our own equipment for improvised improvement on the rafts, we had no idea how sophisticated it could be, and were glad we had been resourceful in contacting yourself and Mike in advance for hints and tips, our prior contact with you really helped us, as we initially imagined it would be as simple an affair as just lashing a bunch of logs together!!!
Overall I thought it was really well organised, we really appreciated the support boat bringing us bananas!!
Would I do it again!? Tough question!!! The answer is, I think, yes I would, although I have a few other equally insane adventures I still have to do first (I'm thinking trekking the sahara on a camel next). At the very least  will be back for general adventuring in Peru, and I know Beth and Shane will be back in the future with more Action4Cancer teams.
The experience has definately had a significant effect on me, as I think is illustrated in my blog entries. I have travelled a lot in the past but due to a few unfortunate personal events had not travelled for a while, and had sufferred significant losses in my personality. Doing this trip caused me to regain so much confidence and spirit back, restored my thirst for adventure, and having time out from my regular life and then returning to it has made me realise how badly I need to make some changes, and has definately been the kick up the arse I needed to make those neccessary life changes. It also made me realise I am still able to get out there and have adventures. I was also incredibly lucky to meet and befriend a very special person with whome I shared a lot of personal time, I found to be spiritually very enlightening, and who I will be keeping in touch with.
Being in such a melee of people from all cultural backgrounds and situations is so very important for broadening the mind and also for gaining perspective on how lucky we westerners are and how comparatively luxuriously we live in our modern worlds. It is very humbling to learn of the troubles so many people deal with every day, and to sample life among other cultures. Also for me personally, I never feel more at home when I am living in the dirt and pushing my body and mind to the limits, and being so close to nature. Truly exhillarating.
Thank you so much for all the great work you accomplished this year, it was a privilage to meet you, and an experience I will never forget."
Of course it is only right that I offer my most heartfelt thanks to everyone who has read my blog and who has supported me whether it be financially, by making donations of money or time to the charity, and of course with all the moral support and well wishing. I could not have done it without you!! I still owe Hilary Tunnicliffe at Parkside Community College some hands on snake sessions with her classes, in exchange for her generous sponsorship, so I will update how that goes after the October half term, and no doubt there will be a newspaper story run on that too. Fyf will be back from Peru in a weeks time, and that will be when I get access to a great selection of photos, that I will duly post up to enhance the writing. And don't forget, this month is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month! You can still donate to Action4Cancer if you wish. Contact me directly or see details on the blog post titled "how to donate".

Finally, a massive thank you to my wonderful teammates, Bethyn, Shane and Fyf, who really made the trip so fantastic for me. I don't need to say too much more than that because they already know it all, but still, thanks for the friendship, love and laughs. A particular moment where their unconditional support struck me was at 1am when I got back to the hostel after being mugged and without question, Fyf got Beth and Shane up and we trooped matter of factly down to the police station right away. We were soon accompanied by a mangy street dog that had been hanging about with us for a couple of days, adopting us as it's pack. The dog walked with us right into the police station as if we owned it and noone batted an eye lid! It hung about, and after we left (having been refused help by the police) he trotted out with us and all the way home, taking up the defensive against other street dogs we met along the way. It seemed even when bad luck found us we also found some amusement and adventure. So thank you dear crew, for putting up with me and my disaster prone ways and for looking out for me when I needed you most, for having me along for the jolly and basically being fantastic people- and there aren't that many people you can share the kind of conversations we shared without being taken for a weirdo, not to mention group peeing! I love you all very much, and cannot wait for the next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home